Pages

Friday, 13 February 2015

Homework Task week 4 Science.

HOMEWORK WEEK 4 Due:18th February






This term our class is studying how a change of state between a solid or a liquid can be caused by adding or removing heat.  
As part of our science unit Melting Moments we would like students to think about when melting is commonly seen in the home. The children have been undertaking some experiments in the classroom and their task this week is to;
Experiment with something at home that will change from a solid to a liquid or a liquid to a solid by adding or removing heat.

 What was your experiment?
 What did you do to change your object?
What did it look like?
How long did it take to change from a solid to a liquid?
Can you change it back into its original form/shape?
Please use some great scientific words in your comment so others can also learn from your experiment.

 If you would like me to put up some pictures that you have taken of your experiment on the blog, please email them to me. Otherwise please bring in a photo or a drawn picture of your experiment next Wednesday 18th February for our science lesson.  

Happy experimenting :)

12 comments:

Year 5 said...

My experiment was melting ice. To change my object I took the ice out of the freezer and put it in a bowl and I took the bowl outside. The ice was originally in a cube shape and then it liquefied (turned into water). It took fifteen minutes because it was raining and it was cold. The freezing point of water is zero degrees Celsius. I can not change the ice back to its original shape without using a mould and putting it in the freezer where the temperature is below zero

Shae said...

1. My experiment was about lollies - to see if they melt or not.
2.I put the lollies on a plate in the microwave. The lollies took one minute to melt. It puffed up when it was in the microwave and then was flat and gooey when I took it out.
3. No it was a big blob of gooey mess.

Olivia said...

Olivia
1. My experiment was to melt butter and turn it into a liquid.

2. I put the butter in the microwave (to add heat). I used to hottest temperature on the microwave. It made a popping sound like popcorn cooking when it was melting. It took 20 seconds to melt and it looked wet and soggy.

3. You can not form it back its original shape.

Luke bostock said...

My experiment was melting a Freddo frog.

1. I put the Freddo frog in a bowl.
2. I put the bowl in the microwave and started to heat it.
3. checking often it took 2 minutes and 15 seconds to disintegrate.
The Freddo frog looked crumbly. It didn't go all runny just in places.
I don't think I can recondition the Freddo frog back to its original form.

Ciara Wright said...

Ciara
My experiment was melting chocolate in the microwave.
1. I got some chocolate out of the fridge and put it in a bowl.
2. I put the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds and it melted a bit.
3. We put it back in the microwave for 20 seconds and it all melted and it turned in to liquid.

Annabelle Clements said...

1.For my experiment I chose to melt chocolate.
2.Firstly, I put the heart-shaped chocolate into a pot. As the hot plate became warm the chocolate melted.
3.It was runny.
4.It became a liquid after five minutes.
5.When it cooled it was a solid again but it was not it's original shape and I could not change it back to it's original shape.

Mary said...

Mary
The experiment was melting a wax candle. To change my object I lit the wick. I could see the wax melting and the wick getting longer and the candle getting shorter. It took 30 minutes for it to change into a liquid. No it can not change back into its original form/shape.

Sofia said...

My experiment was melting lead. Dad and I heated strips of lead using a saucepan and a burner. It took about three minutes for the hard strips to become molten lead. The molten lead begins to harden as soon as it is taken off the heat. It will set hard again into whatever shape it is being held in. We set the lead into a mould to make fishing sinkers.

Taryn said...

Taryn
my experiment was a candle.I let the candle it was about 20 seconds until it stared to melt then I left it to melt after a minute.After a minute all the wax set.It whent hard it did not stay the same shape when the wax was runny some wax got out and set hard there. pls I am going to bring in a candle to show you

fionnan said...


Fionnan Nally

My experiment was with frozen yogurt. I took a tub of frozen yogurt from the freezer. Placed some in a bowl and left in a bowl on the kitchen counter. After some time it turned to liquid. I placed it back in the freezer it returned to solid but looked all icy.

Anonymous said...

Katherine Morris says:

Katherine Morris

My experiment was to see if we could melt a plastic spoon.

1. We got a plastic spoon out and a cup.

2. We filled the kettle with cold water and boiled it.

3. We put the plastic spoon in the cup and poured hot water over it.

4. The changes happened very fast. The spoon went wobbly, bendy and soft. We could make the spoon part go flat.

5. We noticed that when we took the spoon out of the water we could change its shape and once it changed its shape, and it cooled down, it went hard again. When we put it back in the hot water, it went back to its normal shape again.

Riley :) said...

For my experiment I choose to do wax melting.
This wax is the wax my mum uses to get hair out from peoples face, legs and arms.
First we plugged the power cord into the power switch. The electricity comes through the cord and heats the element in the wax pot.
The wax took 7 minutes to be fully melted and able to use. The wax is VERY hot inside the pot it is heated in. You then can use the wax carefully to rip hair off.
Once you turn the power off it takes about 30 minutes to set to a hard solid again.